Thank the good Lord above it's Friday!
I am mentally and physically exhausted. It started out Monday with an announcement of another round of layoffs as that never gets tiring to hear. (roll eyes) Then it was run here, run there until it snowballed into a big blur.
I want to sleep in this weekend but there is absolutely no way as Tyler is due to meet for Scouts at 9:30am sharp approx 15 miles from home tomorrow morning. Then church on Sunday. Last Sunday since Brian and I were tired from his birthday celebration the service seemed to go twice as long... Then there's the thought - no - the idea - not that either - the reality that my house needs a good scrubbing. I thought that I would/could work on it when I get home a night a little here and there. But I've been beat once I get home from work. Enough with the ho-hum.
Yesterday my group went to Harvester's for a team builder. We assembled Back snack Packs for the hungry youth in our community.
From the Harvester's website:
BackSnack
More than 101,000 children in Harvesters’ service area are enrolled in free and reduced-price school meals during the week, but what do they eat on the weekend?
Harvesters offers the BackSnack program, which provides backpacks of food to low-income children for the weekend, to combat weekend hunger. The program creates a partnership between Harvesters, a participating school and a local corporate, civic or religious organization.
Harvesters provides the food, and the partnering organization provides the backpacks and the volunteers to pick them up, clean them out and pack them with food. School staff picks up the backpacks and distributes them on Friday to the kids, who bring them back on Monday to start the whole process again.
So for 2 hours we worked an assembly line from the start of plastic bags we'd insert a tube of saltine crackers, individuals servings of white & chocolate milk, soup can, pop tart, juice, 2 cans of beanie weenies, a can of peaches and 2 servings of cereal. They would then be sealed shut and boxed up on a palate. We rocked as we completed 9 palates approx 6 feet high. Which equates to 1300 packs! I felt so good about what we were doing that I could have stayed longer to make more. My ultimate job would to be to help people. I would find such great satisfaction in that. God blesses a cheerful giver!
Peace.
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes, God blesses a Cheerful Giver! For more ideas on cheerful giving, you may want to visit www.cheerfulgivers.org
That is so awesome, Kel. I wish my company would do things like that. I would be the first one to sign up.Just because of the type of person you are I see you running or starting a new organization like Harvesters someday.
Post a Comment